All are welcome to any of our services, without exception
Introduction to worship at Immanuel
We place a great deal of importance in gathering as a church family at least once a week. It’s a bit like the gathering together, as many families do, to eat a meal, to share in the joys and challenges of the day or week and be together. As a church family, we feel that food and hospitality are really important. At least once a week we have a communion service – this is where we remember Jesus’ last supper with his friends. We come together as friends to share in that meal.
Our worship is often a little chaotic – a bit like life really - best described as ‘reverential chaos’, which just about sums it up. We do believe that God has a sense of humour and so we don’t exclude laughter during our services.
Of course we have other services, not just communion services and like to think we’re able to offer something to suit everyone’s tastes! We do quiet and we do not so quiet. Reflection as well as singing and rejoicing! Above all, we try to ensure that we offer a really warm welcome to anyone who comes through our doors. We really do mean it when we say that anyone – really anyone – is welcome at any of our services.
God is here; please make yourselves at home.
Our main act of worship is on a Sunday morning, starting at 10am. It generally follows this pattern on a monthly basis (there are some exceptions and we try to ensure our website and Facebook page give details of changes):
- Refresh@Immanuel. We begin this service with breakfast which starts at 9.30am. Cereal, toast, fruit juice, pastries, filter coffee and tea are available. We think that eating breakfast together should form part of our worship but the more ‘formal’ service starts at around 10am. There are modern songs (that children will tend to know from school), craft activities, a bible reading and short talk. The service itself lasts no longer than an hour.
· Second Sunday:
- Communion for All-Ages. Starting at 10am, a communion service for all ages. There’s usually a mixture of traditional and more modern hymns, a short talk and communion for all. This service lasts about an hour.
· Third/Fourth Sundays:
- Holy Communion with Xplorers. Xplorers is Immanuel’s Sunday School for children between the ages of 4 & 14, although younger children can join in with the help of their parents/carers and older children are welcome to lend a hand. The service is a ‘traditional’ Communion service with hymns and a sermon. The service lasts about an hour and concludes with Xplorers sharing with everyone what they’ve been learning and making.
· Fifth Sunday:
- When the month has a fifth Sunday there’s a Communion for All-Ages.
- Communion, Coffee, Croissants: Is our Thursday morning simple, said, Communion service that lasts about 20/25 minutes and starts at 9am. Church is open from 8.30am to coincide with school drop off and we finish with fresh filter coffee, tea and pastries. We have a broad mix of people come to this service – pre-school children and those retired. We provide soft toys to occupy the children, if required!
Sunday Evening: We have two services a month on a Sunday evening at 6.30pm.
- On the First Sunday we have a short, said, Communion service that lasts about 25 minutes. This is followed by refreshments.
- On the Fourth Sunday we have a quiet, reflective time of worship. It differs each month, but there’s some silence, usually a hymn or song or two and bible reading. The service usually lasts between 20-30 minutes and is followed by refreshments. There is quiet space for prayer, for those who would like it, in church after the service too.
We serve fresh, fairtrade, filter coffee after most of our services as well as a variety of teas, squash, biscuits (chocolate biscuits included) and sometimes cake!